Monday, August 8, 2011

A Legacy of Love

I think most of us have at least one dish that we have fond memories of, that takes us back to those happy memories of when we were a child. It is that dish that gives us comfort and makes us feel snuggly warm when we eat it. More than likely it was a dish that our grandmother prepared, then our mothers prepared and finally that we ourselves are making. This same dish will be passed onto your children and hopefully to their children. If we are really lucky we have more than one dish that has been handed down along the generations and brings us back to a time of contentment. I luckily have a few dishes that have been passed down thru the generations. I also have some dishes that I myself have made and passed down to my daughters.In turn either I will or my daughters will continue the tradition and pass then down to their daughters. I call these recipes that we share with our families, Our Legacies of Love! :)

When I prepare these dishes I tend to become a bit nostalgic. I remember as a child, my grandma and mom being in the kitchen cooking and the wonderful smells that would fill the house. It was a time that I felt safe and loved. I loved the holidays because I knew the house would be full of tempting smells and the food would be scrumptious! I feel so blessed to have come from such a family of wonderful cooks and to be able to carry on the tradition.
The heritage on my mom's side of the family is Greek and there are some really delicious dishes that my family prepares. One dish that I really enjoy and is a comfort food is Spanakorizo or Spinach and Rice. It is quite easy and affordable too!

Spanakorizo/Spinach and Rice
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large white onion diced
2-3 cloves garlic,chopped
16 oz. fresh spinach
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
3 1/2 cups water
2 tomato flavored bouillon cubes
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Place oil into heated pan, add onions and garlic and saute' until onions are translucent. Add spinach and cook til wilted. Add rice and saute' and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes sauce, water, bouillon and black pepper. Stir well and cook over medium heat until comes to a boil. Stir well and place a tight lid on pan. Turn heat down to low. Cook for 30 minutes and be sure to not take lid off during this time...very important! Remove from heat and let sit for an additional 10 minutes without removing lid.Ready to serve!




Hopefully everyone has a least one dish they are able to share with the next generation. And if you don't then maybe it's time to make one of your own and pass down that Legacy of Love! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment